Although Colin Powell has classified himself as a Republican, I still have a plethora of respect for him. Not only did Powell endorse at the time Senator Obama in the 2008 presidential campaign, but Powell finally took a shot at his own party for their childish attacks at President Obama. Powell stated that the GOP should be attacking Obama's policies, not other unnecessary things. Attacks on President Obama's religious affiliation and United States citizenship are "child’s play." There is clear documentation that President Obama is a citizen of the United States, and President Obama has stated many times that he is a Christian. Why are questions still coming up about his personal issues? Personally, I believe it is time for the GOP to run a clean race and fight an honest fight. There is no reason to attack the morality of our President.
http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S1750964.shtml?cat=639
I also commend Colin Powell on his ability to recognize and assert his own individual perspective when needed. I think people in power, particulary politicians, can be consumed with their affiliations and disregard their own personal feelings and morals. This quality seems to function as a rise and demise because politicians must accurately represent their parties or causes, but at the end of the day they rely on their judgement to make the final decision. But, when and where is the line drawn in respect to foolish attacks such as this? When was it ever okay to purposely attempt to undermine an opposing party without focusing on their platform and policies? Perhaps, this is just the grimey game of politics.
ReplyDeleteI was drawn to this entry about Colin Powell. I had great appreciation for Colin Powell's honesty throughout Barack Obama's campaign. I was delighted to hear he had endorsed Barack Obama. He is a known republican and for someone to go with the opposing party really says something about the candidate. You also pin pointed the importance of judging a candidate based upon their policies and not attacking their personal lives; especially when there is nothing to necessarily attack.
ReplyDelete