Thursday, September 9, 2010

Burning the Koran: Right or Wrong?

Does Pastor Terry Jones really have the right to burn the Koran? Well the issue is a question that requires an ambiguous response from every individual. Legally, he is not committing a crime. But is burning a Koran socially unacceptable? In a little document that we call The Constitution, amendment one guarantees America the right of free speech, press, and assembly. Pastor Jones is working within the law,and so is the issue that brought forth the burning of the Koran; Muslims want to build a mosque on ground zero. Is that still a good reason to burn the Koran? Personally, I believe that Pastor Jones has the right to do what he wants to do. I don't condone his actions, but America is based off our freedoms. Would I burn the Koran? No. There are too many ramifications. What if Al Qaeda decides to take burning the Koran as a threat to them? What if Muslim Americans find it degrading, and it just elevates the already mortal tension between Christians and Muslims? But do I believe I have the right to do so? Yes. In the end, Pastor Jones potential actions boil down to two ideas: pride versus protection. Is Pastor Jones going to stick to his word, or is he going to look at the future of the nation and the possible results of burning the Koran?

No comments:

Post a Comment